History of Holy Family Catholic Church in El Paso, Texas
Holy Family Catholic Church is part of the Catholic Diocese of El Paso, Texas.
The parish was originally founded as a Jesuit Mission in 1916 to care for families seeking refuge from the Mexican Revolution.
Holy Family was the last church built by Rev. Carlos Pinto, S.J.. It continued to serve exiled Mexicans for many decades.
Holy Family was a mission of Sacred Heart Parish until 1933 when Bishop Schuler elevated it to a parish.
In September 1948, Bishop Metzger placed the parish under the administration of diocesan priests, thereby ending 34 years of Jesuit administration.
The altar of the church still holds the original statue of the Holy Family that was located at the altar of El Paso’s first Catholic Church, St. Mary Chapel.