If we ask any couple who has been married 10, 20, even 50 years, what the most important thing we need for a happy marriage is—they will all tell us that COMMUNICATION is THE most important thing to strive for in order to have a happy marriage.
It’s not money!
It’s not a big house!
It’s not the fancy car!
Communication is even more important than the level of intimacy we share in marriage.
No, it is not always easy to communicate effectively.
When we’re upset or angry we say things that hurt our spouse and we say things that we often do not mean, but because we are wanting to “get back” at our spouse we use words that are belittling or unjust.
According to an article by Chloe Langr, in CatholicSingles.com, there are
5 Tips for Becoming a More Effective Communicator In Your Relationship
1. Asking questions to help clarify a comment.
2. Remembering to take time to listen and give time to speak.
3. Giving your full undivided attention.
4. Let your spouse know the importance of the conversation.
5. Repeat words to demonstrate an understanding of what your spouse has said.
Remembering to love our spouse as Jesus loves us will help us get through the challenging times in our marriage